Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We Are Our Brother's (And Sister's!) Keeper

I was scared all week anticipating the results of my endometrial biopsy.

If I wasn't worrying about it or researching it, I felt I wasn't doing everything I could to somehow metaphysically affect the diagnosis. On some level I thought if I didn't worry about it incessantly, the universe would decide I didn't care either way and let me have it. I would have earned the bad news.

So, my job was to worry, until I decided that was crazy, then I'd go back to worrying. I'd go from panic to surrender back to panic and then more surrendering.

I thought about how I'd manage every step in the process in a worst-case scenario and felt I had a workable plan in place. Then I worried that I'd jynxed myself into a bad outcome because I was planning for it.

Every strategy I chose was lose-lose.

The day before my appointment the nurse called to confirm. I asked if the results were there - they were. I asked if she knew. She said it didn't matter if she knew or not, she couldn't tell me. The doctor had to go over it with me.

I reasoned to myself there was no point worrying now. The results were already typed up sitting in an office. I was off the hook, for the moment.

I went to work on results day and was in worse shape than I thought I'd be in. I could barely register a reaction to anything anyone said.

Nothing mattered.

I got to the doctor's office and sat in the room and waited and waited and waited. I looked out the window at a leafy green tree saturated with sunlight.

It might as well have been a picture.

The doctor came in and opened the folder with my results.

The lining of my uterus is perfectly fine - no disease.

Just like that.

A reprieve.

I glanced out the window at the sunlit tree and it was real. I was free. I was a kid heading to recess on a sunny day. Only recess could last as long as I wanted. All afternoon if I felt like it.

And I did.

How did I get away with it?

I was so sure I'd get bad news because that's been my experience in so many other scenarios …no, I don't love you, we're downsizing and letting you go, you're just not the right fit …I guess I'd forgotten good news was an option.

I checked my blog and saw that so many people had logged in to find out what happened.

Supporting each other means everything.

5 comments:

  1. i wish i didn't have to go through that. i'm relieved beyond belief that you are fine, but then i prayed and somehow knew you would be. i wish i could have transmitted that feeling somehow to you so you wouldn't have worried as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm relieved to know you're well and I'm glad to see you blogging again. ॐ

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so hard on yourself my dear. Glad it's over and all well, now enjoy your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy my life - sounds good!!! thanks, yogini

    ReplyDelete