Friday, December 9, 2011

Waiting for a Train

I had an awful dream this morning.


I was in LA. It was evening and dark. I was with someone who was more
familiar with the area than I was, but I didn't know if I could trust
her.


We were all dressed up and had to park the car, then walk to the train
station to get where we were going.


I parked the car at the bottom of a hill. It was dark, but I wanted to
write down the street names so I'd remember how to get back to the
car. I turned to let the person I was with know we should do
everything we could to remember where we parked, but she was already
running up the hill.


I looked back at the street signs but could only make out one of the
names. It had three letters, all caps. Something like, LOR, LAR ...I
can't remember.


Then I walked along the dark, empty streets and made my way to the
train station.


At first it looked like a safe enough place, but I wasn't familiar with it.


I ran around looking for my train and ended up on the tracks, which
curved and overlapped each other.


There were trains coming in and out and I had just enough time to jump
off a track and onto a narrow cement divider between the tracks before
I got hit.


The trains were sleek and fast and whizzing past me.


I somehow got out of the track area, ran up the stairs and pushed a
door open to a waiting room. It was dirty and filled with dangerous
people.


Travelers were running through this waiting room to get to their train
unscathed.


I hadn't come in running. I pushed the door open, saw the people and
stood there a moment.


I wanted to appear confident to these threatening people. But they
caught me before I could pretend I knew where I was going. The jig was
up.


I'd made it almost to the end, gotten myself where I needed to be even
without knowing how to get there.


But it was now obvious I was lost. And vulnerable.

6 comments:

  1. so the dream ended with you still in the train station and didn't get on the train?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it ended with me at the entrance to the waiting room trying to figure out if i should walk through it as though i weren't concerned at all to where the trains were, or if that would put me in danger. i knew the longer i waited, the more the people would see me as scared and therefore vulnerable to attack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, i had two choices, and the both led to potential danger: pretend i wasn't afraid or admit i was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's scary. what's bothering you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. well it seems in the dream you are paralyzed to move forward so you would rather deal with the scary of where you are or take the next step into the unknown which is scary for anyone. just my take :)

    ReplyDelete