Saturday, June 9, 2018

Take It Slow

This morning I went for a jog, after about three years of not jogging.

It was the first time I really felt excited about getting back to something I used to really enjoy.

I decided to run for 45 minutes, going back and forth on a nature trail close to where I live.

The air was cool and perfect for running.

When I started, it was so easy.

There's a bird-watching tower along the way and I thought it would be fun to add running up and down the stairs to my workout.

When I turned around to come back, it was harder.

I thought maybe it was slightly uphill this way.

I went up and down the stairs again, got to the beginning and turned around again, and again, it was easier going this way.

Going back was harder, and I realized I was running much faster, trying to hurry through the harder part.

I kept telling myself to slow down rather than get to the point where I'd have to walk. Just keep going, but slow down.

It's natural to want to hurry through the hard parts, because they're so unpleasant. But hurrying through doesn't get us to the other side faster. It only makes the difficulties more arduous.

Learning to slow down through the hard parts, to be thoughtful, even when emotion takes over, can help us get through them faster, and come out the other side ready to start again.



No comments:

Post a Comment