Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yukon Cornelius and the Mentality of Wanting


The appeal of Yukon Cornelius, aka, Saint Nicholas, Santa Claus, and many other aliases, is lost on me.

He’s a character pieced together from ancient folklore and more recent songs, poems, paintings and plays.

It’s bizarre to me that people have such strong emotional reactions to him.

There’s actually an article in the NY Times slamming the Best Buy commercials pitting consumers against Santa Claus.

Really?

I think the commercials are genius.

I hate Santa.

He’s creepy in the same way clowns are creepy. They’re meant to be funny, but they’re awful instead.

Why does he wear a furry red suit? With a black belt? And have a big, dusty, nasty beard?

Why are people so emotionally invested in Santa?

Babies are terrified by Santa, and rightly so.

We tell kids to stay away from strangers, then sit them right down on the lap of a random person sitting in the mall and make them think of something they might possibly want that they don’t have, then beg this guy to give it to them and assure them he’ll bring them that exact thing on Christmas.

So, we want kids to be delusional?

It’s a risky proposition at best. It’s like imbuing a welfare mentality into your child. Instead of having them focus on what they don’t have, then ask someone to get it for them, if they want something, why not help them come up with a plan for getting it for themselves, and getting extra for others while they’re at it?

The kids, at least the pre-TV commercial ones, probably don’t even know to want something. Why plant the seed?

In the cartoon, Yukon Cornelius is a greedy prospector looking for silver, gold or a peppermint mine, depending on which version you’re watching. The one with or without the peppermint mine scene at the end. So, the point of the story is, greed is good? Santa and Gordon Gekko, cut from the same cloth?

I know the message is supposed to be generosity – giving with no expectation of something in return. Except for milk and cookies. Which really negates the selfless aspect. But let’s pretend that’s not the case for now and focus on the giving.

Here’s my contention. He doesn’t give because he’s kind. He gives as a way to mete out punishment. Only the “nice” get presents. The “naughty” get coal.

Who made Santa judge and jury?

Fuck you, Santa!

I know. I have issues.

I do sometimes wonder if I’m missing a chip or have an undiagnosed syndrome.

Or maybe I just refuse to drink the Kool-Aid.

The real reason I despise Santa is because why do we need to look to a fictional character to be amazed by selflessness?

Truth is better. People are generous. We do care about each other.

I know, because I see it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment