Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Hidden Source of Dreams

I had a dream this morning that I was housesitting for someone and taking care of her young son.

The boy and I heard a noise in the attic, so we went up to investigate. The attic had a vaulted ceiling with exposed beams.

It was pretty. The whole house was pretty. But there was shade in every room. The sunlight couldn't reach the inside. It was designed to be comfortable and lovely, but I felt uncomfortable there. I couldn't trust anything to go right.

We spotted two birds flying around the beams making the noise.

We couldn't tell how the birds had gotten in and we decided to open a window so they could fly out again.

The next morning the attic had 200 birds in it. Sitting on the beams and flying around. The open window idea had backfired.

We went into the basement and the floor was all wet. I hadn't done any laundry or used anything that would've caused this.

We tried to figure out how to mop up the wetness and keep whatever was broken from leaking again, but then it was time for breakfast.

I painstakingly made the boy his toast exactly the way he likes it. There were four or five different sizes of bread that I cooked to the exact degree of toastiness he likes.

Then my family was at the breakfast table and someone said she hated to tell me, but her sandwich was awful.

I hadn't made her sandwich and didn't know where it had come from.

So, problems kept popping up and I kept trying to figure out how to fix them, but without knowing what caused the problems, my efforts to fix them (at least with the birds) just made them worse.

What could it all mean?

1 comment:

  1. My first thought when reading this was simply - who is the boy? Does he represent someone? something?

    ReplyDelete